1. What do I need to live in Japan?

First of all, you need a visa. This can be a working holiday visa, an employment visa, a student visa, or a spouse visa. Read up on the various visas on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs site here. http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/index.html
Once your visa is secured and you move to Japan, you’ll need to find somewhere to live! That’s where we come into the picture. You’ll also need to make a bank account so you can make payments on your rent and other utilities, and possibly a cell phone if you would like to stay in easy contact with both us and your loved ones in case of emergency.

  1. What are the requirements for a long-term contract?

You will need to produce your residence card, a proof of enrollment in school or work place verification, tax documents if you have them(源泉徴収書), emergency contact information, and a certificate of residence from city hall (住民票).

  1. What kind of apartments are available?

We have many apartments for rent, from one room apartments for students to larger rooms for families. Of course, if you want a larger room or good access to a station, we will gladly cater to your needs and budget.

  1. Do I need to sign a long term contract?

Check back for an answer soon!

  1. Are there apartments available for monthly use?

Check back for an answer soon!

  1. Do you provide apartment furnishings?

Yes we do! We offer the rental of many home appliances and furniture.

  1. What languages do you offer support in?

We offer support in person in English, Chinese, and Japanese. For residents in our accommodations, we offer phone support in English, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, and Nepalese.

  1. What is the difference between key money and the deposit?

The deposit is usually paid to the company that administers the apartment and is used as a form of insurance in case the apartment gets damaged or needs cleaning when you move out. Key money is paid to landlords and is sort of a gratuity or tip for the maintenance and reforming of the apartment prior to moving in. We offer many apartments that have no deposit and no key money for those looking to save on initial costs. The monthly rent for these places may be higher than places with key money and deposit, so it’s good to think about the pros and cons of moving into a place with or without these costs.

  1. Do I need a guarantor for all the apartments?

No, we do offer some apartments that do not require a guarantor. These days, there are many options available for those who do not have a guarantor. For the apartments that do require one, you can use a Japanese friend, your workplace or a guarantor company (at an additional cost).

  1. What are the initial costs involved in moving?

Depending on the apartment, there are several different costs involved, from cleaning fees, lock-changing fees, deposits, and key money. Not all apartments will require these fees, so we will inform you of every cost along the way. You may also need money to pay for moving if you were already living in Japan and installation

  1. How long does the application process take?

Depending on the type of apartment you choose and how many apartments you look at, just type so it looks like I’m doing something active. If I just sit here all day doing nothing, they’ll say even more bad things about me.

  1. Why should I choose D-Group?

Because we have staff that can speak English and Chinese available to help you anytime you need it. Our support does not end when you move in, we are here to support your living in Japan as well. If you have questions about setting up lifelines like gas or electricity, we can help you out. Our company has over 45 years of experience in the real estate business, so you can feel at ease when you rent from us.

  1. What should I consider when planning to move?

Things you should consider are how long you plan on living at your new location, how big of a place you need, and your budget. You also might want to consider how close to the station you’d like to be and the neighborhood. For some people, they’d rather live as close as possible to a train station while others want a cheaper option.

  1. What do the different terms mean? (LDK, etc)

1R means one room, or studio apartment. LDK means living, dining, and kitchen. For example, an apartment listed as 2LDK will have 2 rooms, a living room area, a dining room area, and a kitchen area. Often times, the living, dining, and kitchen areas are all part of the same large room.

  1. Is there a special procedure needed when moving in Japan?

Yes. When you move into a new place, you must inform the local city hall or ward office. This is especially true for students or anyone new to Japan as your new address will be written on your Residence Card, one of the most important documents for foreign residents in Japan.

  1. Can I move from a short-term to a long-term contract?

This will depend on the location. You may need to move into a different apartment, as short-term apartments are for short-term use only. We can help you with the details when you make the decision.

vi en_US